Week 13: Diversity & Inclusion IV

Introduction
This week's class is a continuation of our previous diversity discussions. Our main focus this week was over a movie titled "Motorcycle Diaries". The film follows two men who ride a motorcycle over South America. 
"Motorcycle Diaries"
Image result for motorcycle diaries"Motorcycle Diaries" follows two young men, Ernesto and Alberto, on a trip across South America. Alberto was a biochemist and Ernesto was in school to be a doctor. Ernesto kept a journal of their trip, hence the name. Along the trip, they met a plethora of people who live impoverished lives and/or are extremely sick. They meet this one couple who is traveling to find work since they were forced off their land. Then they go to an island full of doctors and nurses who take care of a community of sick people. These interactions changed Ernesto's entire outlook on life. His beliefs and his purpose in life took a 360. After watching the film, we found out that Ernesto is also known as "Che", a ruthless communist who helped lead the Cuban revolution. 
My Thoughts
Image result for motorcycle diariesI thoroughly enjoyed this movie. When we first started it in class, I did not expect to like it. I was highly dreading having to finish it on my own, but as the movie went on, I found myself becoming extremely invested in the story. My boyfriend was in the room with me while I was watching it and I kept pausing it to tell him all of the things I found interesting, sad, or heartwarming. I would highly recommend this to my friends and family. Also after I found out who he was and what he did, the meaning of the movie didn't change for me. To me, they weren't necessarily romanticizing him or anything he did, but rather sharing his story and the events that lead him to become the man he was. In my opinion, knowing the backstory of someone like Che is just as important as knowing his actions and impacts. 
Review
The review I found was by Roger Ebert. This review talked a lot about Che himself and how he makes a pretty good "folk hero" if you don't look at his actual actions and beliefs. It also summarizes the movie. I mainly liked this article because it discusses the importance of the story, while also acknowledging how it ends before the "real story" even begins. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8: Make Your Home Among Strangers

Week 9: Diversity & Inclusion IV

Week 15: Final Exam Reflection