Week 10: Degree Engagement

Introduction

This week we went back to our normal schedule... sadly. Although I enjoyed I previous weeks classes, this week was a lot more helpful. Our topic was degree engagement and consisted of everything we need to do during our years at college to prepare to get our degree and beyond. 

Monday

Image result for georgia southern major catalogOn Monday, we discussed the steps we should be taking to get our degree. They told informed us about the course catalog, which none of us had heard of. The course catalog is a list of major specific requirements that were set for the year you declared that major. Over the years, the catalog change, but you have the choice to stick with the catalog you were assigned or to use the new catalog. We also briefly discussed the MACE, major and career exploration center (shout out to Taylor). The last major requirement thing we learned about were our program maps and where to find them. Program maps are spreadsheets that ourline the classes we should take to graduate in four years. At the end of class we were given a sheet of paper full of different values and were assigned to narrow them down to our top five values on the page. We discussed what we believed our classmates would put as their most important and a few things that we actually picked before class was dismissed. 

Wednesday

Image result for values
On Wednesday, we got out our sheets of values from class on Monday and were split into small groups to compare our values. We were also told to discuss a challenge we have faced since we got to college and how/if we used our values to overcome said challenge. I shared with my group my experience in my English class. The first day of class my professor looked as all in the eyes and told us we would be lucky if we even ended with a C in the class. Being a student who is used to making 98s or above in a class, this really upset me, but I used my values of hardwork, dedication, and self improvement to ensure I end the class knowing I did everything in my power to get a good grade. After that we watched a video about how gamemasters look at the future to predict the present. In our small groups, we talked about how we can use that logic in order to achieve our career goals. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 15: Final Exam Reflection

Week 8: Make Your Home Among Strangers

Week Four: Growth Mindset, Academic Basics, and Academic Integrity